VIEW FULL VERSION: Link
Subject: What factors determine whether dogs use activated
Content: Activated carbon is a commonly prescribed emergency treatment for dogs ingesting potential toxins. Taking coconut carbon pellets  quickly after exposure can prevent poisoning symptoms in your dog. However, activated carbon is ineffective for each toxin, and it is important to be aware of its limitations. If your dog ingests foreign material, always consult your veterinarian or poison control department before attempting treatment at home.   Activated carbon is made by burning wood at high temperatures to produce charcoal. The product is then "activated", i.e., the process of forming additional pores and gaps on the charcoal to increase its surface area, thereby improving its ability to combine with other compounds.   The product was administered orally and combined with toxins in the stomach and gastrointestinal tract of dogs. Both over-the-counter and prescription drugs have activated carbon, but most OTC products are ineffective.   Activated carbon has many forms. In veterinary medicine, oral solution is the most commonly used. It can be purchased as a thick black liquid, or it can be made by mixing activated carbon powder with water in a veterinary clinic. The liquid is then fed to the patient with a small amount of food, or the drug can be given through an oral syringe.   The surface area of activated carbon is so large that it can combine with many different compounds. When taken orally, activated carbon binds to compounds in the dog's digestive tract, preventing them from being absorbed into the blood.   This is particularly useful in the case of poisoning, because once the toxin is combined, it is removed harmlessly from the digestive tract of the feces. Some  activated carbon pellets  products also contain hypnotics, such as sorbitol, which speed charcoal through the digestive tract to ensure a rapid clearance of toxins.   Unfortunately, not all toxins can be treated with activated carbon. Some compounds, such as ethanol and xylitol, are too small to combine with activated carbon.   The timing of the toxin intake is also important. If too much time has passed, the toxin may have been absorbed by the dog's blood, and the activated carbon will not work. Your veterinarian will decide whether to use activated carbon based on the type of toxin, the time of ingestion, the symptoms of the dog, and any other health conditions.